Other options for disposal
Midlothian Advice and Resource Centre (MARC) accepts furniture and appliances in good condition for redistribution and sale within the local community.
Some charities will accept bicycles in good condition. Your local directory has a list of charity shops. Bicycles can often be refurbished.
- RUTS will accept bicycles at their offices at Lady Victoria Colliery to teach young people transferable mechanical skills.
- The Bike Station will take all unwanted bikes in any condition. They will also take parts and accessories including locks, lights, and bike panniers.
- Textile recycling banks accept materials of any quality.
- Good quality items will be reused. Poorer quality textiles are recycled into industrial rags or carpet underlay.
- These banks also accept belts, bags, bed linen, towels, shoes and curtains.
House clearances and private waste carriers
If someone offers to dispose of your waste, or you are paying someone to take your waste away, you must take reasonable steps to ensure they are authorised to transport it and dispose of it properly.
The person doing the work must be registered with SEPA as a waste carrier and give you a Waste Transfer Note, detailing where the waste will be taken. If your waste is illegally disposed of, you can be liable as well as the person who collected it.
Other ways to recycle your waste
- Donate toys, furnishing, books and other household items in good condition to a local charity shop.
- Use online swap shops such as freegle, freecycle and DIYGoGo to donate unwanted items or DIY items.
- Use local internet sites such as Facebook groups or Gumtree to sell on unwanted items.
- Use internet auction sites such as Ebay to sell on unwanted clothes and household items.
- Book a pitch at a local car boot sale or market.
If items are broken or have no further use, then you can take them free of charge to our Household Waste Recycling Centres.
If you intend to bring household waste items to the Recycling Centre in a van or large vehicle, please let us know in advance.