What doesn't go in your blue bin
Recycle it right
Recycling it right is just as important as recycling at all.
Do not use your blue bin for:
- Plastic bags - try to reuse these when doing your shopping
- Clothes and shoes - use your local textile recycling bank
- Glass - glass bottles and jars go in your red box
- Batteries - you can recycle these at many shops or at your local Recycling Centre
- Hard plastic items such as coat-hangers, toys, plant pots, CD/DVD/video cases. These cannot be recycled.
- Food waste - this can be recycled in your food waste caddy
- Garden waste - use your brown bin to dispose of garden waste
- Electrical items - take these to your local Recycling Centre
- Shredded paper
And put all these in your grey bin:
- Polystyrene *
- Sweet wrappers / crisp packets *
- Food contaminated packaging such as pizza boxes
- Toothpaste tubes
- General household rubbish
For a more comprehensive list, look at the A-Z of recycling in Midlothian.
*Some supermarkets now accept in-store collections of soft plastics for recycling: